I walked into the grocery store one day and was immediately drawn to a small green piece of art. After looking suspiciously around me, I studied it closely, turned it over, and saw the name of a familiar artist. She was a local favorite of mine so I was excited to have my hands on her work. Again, I looked around, and began spinning different scenerios in my head,"hmm..." I thought, "could she have lost it? Is it some sort of self promotion, and I should leave it where I found it? Was it a gift ,left here for a friend of hers?" . Against my instinct, I left it where it was and rushed home to email her about my find, that's when I was introduced to ,"Found Art " . Wow, a way to share art with the world with no strings attached. Freedom from judgement, from money, from expectations... I have been painting for many years now, and yet , I approached my first found art piece with no paint at all-not even realizing that I'd done so until I sat down to write this. I'm eager to see what other walls will come down. I look forward to this expedition . -Oh, and when I went back the next day, Pachas piece was still there, at the store, waiting to come home with me, now it lives in my kitchen ( :

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

found art LOST

with this weeks theme being,"lost", i tried to just draw what ever came to mind ,without thinking too much about taking any particular direction(no direction=lost) and came up with this little sketch. after looking at it ,i felt like if i had to describe what i had lost it would be my head ( : ..or worse my mind. after the drawing i went in search of an appropriate poem about loss and found this emily dickenson poem,"the lost thought"
"I FELT a clearing in my mind As if my brain had split; I tried to match it, seam by seam, But could not make them fit.
The thought behind I strove to join Unto the thought before, But sequence ravelled out of reach Like balls upon a floor."

i have a book of poetry that i found this poem in,however when i went online to copy n paste it on here i found that some sites quoted the first line as ,"i felt a CLEAVING" and some "a CLEARING" in my opinion they both make sense because she describes her "split" feeling.

i "lose my head' a lot, usually out of excitement, i tend to be a happy overreactor ( :

4 comments:

Shauna R said...

Cool! I love the concept...you could also be lost in thought. Finally got mine up today too...a mission seeing as I had three assignments due this week! But the art is a nice reprieve.

Kathy L said...

Lena

I love this concept and I love that poem by ED. Whoever finds this I bet will relate!
k

Granola Poet said...

Nice use of poetry - great selection. Are you still trying to saturate Halcyon with found art?

Rosa Murillo said...

I loved the concept and the poem too! I love those drawings you make when not thinking too hard on them, they always turn out really interesting.
Loved it!

ps, sorry for the late late post, I've had a terrible week, but things ae getting better and I'm playing catch up :)